Rebecca Lieb posted a telling article in iMedia claiming that content marketing is the “new black” for business advertising.
- 35% of CMOs believe content marketing is the future of marketing, almost double from just 2006
- 69% of consumers like that custom content marketing targets their interests with 61% saying they are likely to BUY MORE from companies that provide them with custom content!
This research closely aligns with market research identifying the rise of Awareness Customers seeking “in me, on me and around me” product solutions that enhance their well being and that of their family. These content searching customers have an annual buying power of $10 Trillion.
This is a tremendous marketing opportunity for businesses that have an authentic green, wellness and sustainable message to tell. Authenticity is the engagement “start button” for the Awareness Customer. And authenticity is also the key attribute of content marketing that creates new revenues.
What is content marketing but the telling of your product and company’s story on how you have a real solution to a customer’s search. Content marketing is messaging that provides a path for a customer to authenticate product and company claims.
So a second key element of content marketing is transparency. Today’s customers are increasingly armed with smartphones that allow them to go beyond the product package labels in search of “truth.” Successful content marketing enables the customer with a path to third party documentation of your claims.
Content marketing is a super highway to the Awareness Customer. They are asking questions that the green business and their green products are the solution.
Implementing content marketing requires these steps:
- Define your content messaging around the question your customer is seeking answers on.
- Don’t tell, prove it!
- Engage through social media that allows the customer to share your content message with their tribe or community so they can validate its authenticity. And this creates a “multiplier” effect for your content marketing as your message is shared across the social community.
- Find a path for engaging the smartphone customer. Swapping the bar code from a smartphone app is exploding as a customer used application. It opens the door for your green business and products to document authenticity.
Bill Roth is the founder of Earth 2017 that focuses upon the emerging smart, healthy and green economy. His book, The Secret Green Sauce, profiles best practices of businesses making money going green.