Content marketing is engaging your existing and potential customers on topics of importance to them.
If a business is trying to attract fans a proven strategy is to offer a price discount coupon on Facebook.
The marketing question is “Now what?” You have fans but how do you keep them and engage them beyond offering more price discounting?
The answer is content marketing IF you have something of value to share. And that is the competitive advantage of businesses selling green and wellness solutions.
Consumers are on a massive search via Facebook, Twitter, Smartphone Apps, etc. trying to figure out what to buy and who to buy from.
Content marketing is a powerful path for a company selling health, safety and sustainability products and services to gain the consumer’s attention.
Roper Public Affairs did a survey on B2B marketing and found that 80% of business customers prefer a series of informative articles to advertising. Why? 70% felt that the content marketing made them feel closer to the sponsoring company and 60% said the content enabled them to make a better purchase decision!
BabyCenter is an example of a website that does a lot of things right. It offers price discount that will attract first attention. But it also is a best practices example on how to market using content.
Scrolling down their webpage is like search surfing. There are rows of content category for a mom to research.
And their site is socially engaging, providing links to what other moms are doing with their baby and providing moms a path for submitting their posts.
The best practices for a green business to build a content marketing strategy include:
- Less hard selling, much more sharing. Rather than hard pitching your product, engage your customers on the issues and concerns for which they are seeking answers. Remember consultative selling? That is what content marketing is!
- Become an hub of information. Your green business is an expert in your field. Share this expertise as a resource to enable your customers’ search and decision making process.
- Write so it can be read in 15 seconds to 3 minutes. Give them the answer they are searching for immediately in as short as possible format. And then provide a path for them to learn more.
- Publish, publish, publish. Content marketing is not a post and forget effort. It should be done daily, hourly is better. Your reward is that the search engines will find you and your loyal customers will refer you to their friends as a credible and valuable resource.
- Dedicate talent to this task. Content marketing is only going to be as good as the writing source. And don’t make this an “island activity.” This is a team effort implemented by writers and/or video producers.
- Do video. Why should be obvious. Keep it short and to the point. Make it engaging. A series of engaging 15-30 second videos are hugely powerful. A 5 minute video will probably not be watched unless it is as good as a Hollywood movie.
Bill Roth is the founder of Earth 2017 that focuses upon the emerging smart, healthy and green economy. His book, The Secret Green Sauce, profiles best practices of businesses making money going green.